Saudi Arabia/Middle East Practice
The Saudi Arabia/Middle East Practice Group, led by Paul Homsy, has decades of experience in advising on the laws and regulations of Saudi Arabia and the wider Middle East, including the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar. The Group assists clients from outside the Middle East with transactions in the Middle East, including acquisitions, joint ventures, distribution and agency agreements, construction, power generation and other projects, as well as assisting clients establish local subsidiaries, branches, and affiliates in the region.
The Group has close working relationships with leading local law firms in the Middle East ready to assist clients where in-country legal support is required. Our attorneys have years of experience in representing clients from the Middle East in their U.S. investments. We assist clients with commercial disputes and litigation involving complex commercial and financial transactions and advises on the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and US Anti-boycott Regulations. Sample engagements/transactions include:
- Representing a leading global advertising company in the acquisition of and joint venture with the largest privately owned advertising company in the Middle East, involving subsidiaries in 10 Arab countries in the Arabian Gulf, the Levant, and North Africa;
- Representing a leading global consumer products company in establishing a joint venture for the manufacture of personal care products in Saudi Arabia and in obtaining necessary approvals from the Saudi Foreign Capital Investment Committee and Ministry of Commerce;
- Representing the largest Islamic bank in the world, on roughly $3 billion of Sharia compliant financings and litigation relating to $120 million of claims against Enron;
- Representing Kuwaiti bank in a Sharia compliant U.S. real estate fund;
- Representing a leading Arab bank in various Sharia compliant off-balance sheet inventory financings;
- Representing a Swiss private bank in the establishment of a joint venture private equity fund with leading United Arab Emirates asset manager;
- Representing a leading global healthcare company on various matters relating to the U.S. anti-boycott regulations and various distribution and agency matters including a major dispute with its former Saudi distributor;
- Representing a leading U.S. chemicals company in the reorganization of their Saudi joint venture;
- Representing and acting as Arabian Gulf and Levant outside general counsel for a leading global soft drink company involving such matters as the establishment of their technical advisory branch in Saudi Arabia, and various franchise
- matters throughout the Arabian Gulf and the Levant.